« A Marvelous Instrument | Main | From the heart »

November 2, 2006

Family Affair

"You're going to Spain? Bring me back a guitar. Nothing brings so much joy as strumming a guitar." (These are the words of Claude Debussy, who wrote so much wonderful Spanish music but only set foot in Spain one afternoon, to see la corrida - the bullfight.)

There are times when I listen to a great guitarist and think, if only I could play six measures like that, I'd gladly trade anything I've learned to do in music for the experience. But I don't play. Instead I listen to guitarists with a pleasure no less than Debussy's and never more than in the company of my favorite family of musicians, the Romeros.

Growing up in Malaga, in the heartland of Spanish guitar playing, listening from birth to their father, the celebrated guitarist, Celedonio Romero, breathing in the spirit of flamenco and classical guitar on the streets of Andalucia, Celin and Pepe Romero remind me of the origin of the word "inspire" to take in with the breath.

The Romero family, now happily playing, teaching and building guitars into the fourth generation have long been among my favorite visitors to Saint Paul Sunday and this program stands out as one of the most personal and inviting we've ever recorded.

When I asked Pepe what it is that makes the music he and his brother play so compelling, he simply said, "It's the perfume. The guitar has such magic in the sound and drama in its quietness."

Posted by Bill McGlaughlin at November 2, 2006 4:05 PM

Comments

Truly wonderful! I never even knew that Pepe had a brother! Thanks, Bill - always try to listen to your pgm on KING-FM, Seattle.
Richard Kost

By Richard Kost at November 5, 2006 10:42 AM

Thank you Bill for another fantastic program. Do you know if the Romero Brothers have a CD with the pieces they played today on it or them?

I am a massage therapist of thirty years and only like to play acoustic music for my clients. It is hard to find a CD of gentle music that would fit. Their music is perfect.

Take Care and Be Well

Viana Daven

By Viana Daven at November 5, 2006 12:08 PM

Bill,

I found your interview with the Romero brothers quite captivating. I am a lover of Spanish guitar. Thank you for bringing us this show.

Best,
Marc Teamaker

By marc teamaker at November 5, 2006 10:09 PM

Guitar music is like a massage for my soul, it evokes some of the most wonderful feelings. I had the honour of listening to the Romero family in one of their early performances at Lincoln Center, way back in the early sixties, such joy!

By David DiLucca at November 6, 2006 5:18 PM

Beautiful program. Like listening to the whispers of angels.

By John Niesyn at November 8, 2006 8:37 PM

Dear Mr. McGlaughlin,
I always try to listen to your show on WITF(89.5).
I heard the Romero brother's broadcast while I was away at a police academy for 6 months and fell in love with their music. I recently graduated and will be marrying my fiance in February. This music is perfect for a ceremony celebrating love and passion. Is there any way to obtain a recording of the music they played on your broadcast?
Aimee Paine