« Viele Danken | Main | Sui Generis »

August 31, 2006

Silver and Gold

Over the past 25 years, Saint Paul Sunday has hosted numerous artists and ensembles who approach or claim "household name" status. That level of celebrity is a feat in any field, but perhaps especially in classical music. And we welcome any chance to bring our listeners artists with whom they're likely to be familiar. Sir James fits certainly fits that bill.

Given the extra fizz of adrenaline these programs carry, though, we're never quite sure how they'll turn out. We're reflexively prepared for curve balls...

Invariably, the intimacy and warmth of the series' format—and the generosity of the guests, whether they're newly emerging or superstars—take over. At that point it's just a few people making wonderful music in a studio. It's a magic Sir James tuned into in a heartbeat, one he and his millions of fans know well.

Today's program is a truly impromptu sampling of some of Sir James's favorites, chosen on the spot and performed with the elan and celebrated sound that make him beloved the world over.

Posted by Vaughn Ormseth at August 31, 2006 5:38 PM

Comments

What a wonderful gift for this New Year's morning, 2006! Thank you so very much.

By Joan Elkins at January 1, 2006 7:01 AM

Joan is right. The show is terriffic! Thank you and Happy New Year !!

By Hank at January 1, 2006 7:32 AM

Nice program, even if it did run a little short due to Sir James's spontaniety. We in the Metropolitan New York City area had to listen via your web site as WNYC preempted SPS for the second time in three weeks. What's with those guys?

By John Niesyn at January 2, 2006 2:55 PM

Thanks for rebroadcasting the James Galway show.
Saint Paul Sunday is not available where I now live and I have missed it.

As a flutist, having Galway start off the New Year was a special treat.

Jerry Pritchard

By Jerry Pritchard at January 2, 2006 6:07 PM

I began listening to this program while in the car on the way to the store and then found myself unable to get out of the car for the rest of the hour while sitting in the parking lot. It was such an inspiring program that I couldn't tear myself away. Then I had to go home afterwards and dig up my copy of the sheet music for Annie's Song (I'm an amatuer flutist) which Sir James performed so beautifully on the program and which was so popular when I was in my teens. I had to play it again myself. I had forgotten what a beautiful song it was.

What a wonderful performance by Sir James on this program and a perfect way to start the year. High time indeed for Sir James to be heard on the radio again! And as the host of the show pointed out, high time for the music of John Denver to be performed on St. Paul Sunday Morning. He really
was a wonderful song writer in his own right. Thanks for a wonderful show!

By Emily Regis at January 5, 2006 9:47 AM

Happy New Year! It sounds like flutists stick together. Emily, I agree with you about Annie's Song. I think it was so popular at one point that people stopped playing it, but when you hear Sir James play that beautiful melody, I'm reminded all over again why it was so popular in the first place.

By Suzanne Schaffer at January 5, 2006 11:41 AM