« Like old friends... | Main | Dynamic Duo »

July 26, 2006

Past Lives

I'm just reading Suzanne's post from this week about the Endellion Quartet's ways to play together as musicians and still remain good colleagues. Now multiply the four musicians from the quartet by 3 to get the 12 musicians traveling as Chanticleer! Basically, anytime Chanticleer arrives in the studio, it’s as good as a party…only with really excellent singing.

One of the things I love about this group is their range of repertoire. I think that for singers, particularly, this is very impressive as the technique for singing Purcell well is quite different than it is for a work written in our own century. And speaking of technique...tell us what you think of "Past Life Melodies" by Sarah Hawkins!

Posted by Mary Lee at July 26, 2006 1:57 PM

Comments

I'm trying to find a recording of Bill McGlaughlin's "Remembering Icarus. Can anyone help me find it?

By Marc Taylor at December 17, 2005 1:25 PM

I loved the Chanticleer group on Saint Paul Sunday. Where may I find recordings? I will search some more on this site and see if I can find out. Saint Paul Sunday is my favorite program of the week. How far back in time may one find other unforgettable programs and find out if there are recordings available?--Linda

By Linda Dunham at December 18, 2005 12:15 PM

I also enjoyed the Chanticleer program very much. I articularly liked the meditation piece and can not figure out from the program listing the title or on which CD is it available? There are quite a few offerings of their CD's on Amazon.com. We are very fortunate to have this kind of radio available to us and today's programming was the best I've listened to so far. It must have come at the right tme on the right day. Thnk you MPR

By Tom Mulligan at December 18, 2005 4:21 PM

Marc, we've heard that Bill's composition "Remembering Icarus" will be heard on Performance Today, but we haven't been told a date.
Best,
Mary

By Mary Lee, producer at December 18, 2005 5:49 PM

Our archives go back to the year 2000 and we hope to be adding more soon. The best place to find recordings from the artists featured on SPS is at the Public Radio MusicSource (www.prms.org). Chanticleer's site can also tell you which works are on which disc. The meditation piece you enjoyed is "Past Life Melodies" by Sarah Hawkins.

By Mary Lee at December 18, 2005 5:53 PM

I'm also looking for "Remembering Icarus". Can anyone help?

By Carolyn Krill at January 4, 2006 7:02 AM