« Happy Reunions | Main | "Time Unknown to Time Unknown" »

June 14, 2006

Soul Music

Paul Coletti first visited Saint Paul Sunday in late October 2000. A few months earlier, I'd heard his luminous CD of little-known viola works by English composers, which I passed on to Bill. After hearing it, he wanted to get Paul on as soon as we could, too.

Even before he began to play that day we sensed something wonderful about this Scotsman of Italian descent. His warmth as a human being shone through right away, and when he spoke and played he was not only passionate about the many artistic and historical facets to his program, he was just as acutely responsive to the music"s emotional currents and undercurrents, which he communicated masterfully.

You'll hear what I mean again this Sunday when Paul revisits the studio with another returning friend, pianist Lydia Artymiw. Like Paul, she shares a deep communion with the composers whose music she performs. Nowhere in today's program is this truer than in their performance of Robert Schumann"s "Scenes of a Fairyland."

The work comes "straight from a higher power, as I see it," Paul says. "Whatever your belief in things, this is music that comes from deep deep deep inside the soul."

Posted by Vaughn Ormseth at June 14, 2006 10:47 AM

Comments

Wonderful show! Perfect for Sunday morning listening.

By Frank Kundrat at May 15, 2005 1:35 PM

such a great performance! Both Paul Coletti and Lydia Artymiw made those three pieces alive. Brava~

By Cho at May 16, 2005 9:13 PM

Great show- I never knew much about Schumann, but they brought him to life. They captured a mystical side of music as well as anyone I've ever heard. The show really reached out, and I had the sense that I was meant to hear it.

By Dave at May 16, 2005 10:49 PM

I completely agree, Cho and David, that Paul Coletti and Lydia Artymiw made the Schumann especially come alive. I was really touched during the program when Paul was talking about memories in light of Schumann's music. Paul said that when his father died, many memories of what Paul had been like as a child also disappeared. What role does music play in your memories?

By Suzanne Schaffer at May 17, 2005 9:32 AM

Like previous commentators, I too was totally impressed by the Schumann Marchenbilder--especially the finale. As a chamber music pianist, I too have played the Schumann and Brahms offered on your program--though clearly not in Lydia's league!
The early Mendelssohn viola-piano sonata was a revelation to me, and I can't wait to try it out. Richard Sogg

By Richard Sogg at June 4, 2005 3:22 PM

This June 19 program is outstanding! Is it possible to order a recording of the whole program?

By Audrey Shumway at June 19, 2006 4:06 PM

The Mendelssohn-especially for a 13 year old was remarkable in itself. But Coletti and Artymiw made it scuh an accomplished and elegant ( as chamber music should be) conversation! Lydia Artymiw's playing was so sensitive and wise and Coletti such a virtuoso!! His skill and emotional expressiveness was particularly evident in the Schumann. The Brahms I'd heard once before but with Richad Stoltzman. This effort though so different a bit less melancholy and contemplative, but just as lovely. I really loved and was so glad to be introduced to both these fine performers!

By VINCA K RENNER at July 2, 2006 11:47 PM