« Serene Alleluias | Main | Music Lessons »

April 20, 2006

Singular performance

Every time I think of the Borromeo String Quartet, one word comes to mind: Janacek. I was reading recently about festivals this summer and saw their name. "Oh yeah," I thought "that is the group that plays Janacek." Yes, they performed Haydn and Brahms beautifully on Saint Paul Sunday, but for me their rendition of "Intimate Letters" by Leos Janacek was out of this world. I would even venture to call it a singular performance. It had just the right balance of ferocity and delicacy. It was thrilling to listen to the quartet and realize that those two states of being—ferocity and delicacy—are actually not so far apart. I also thought Nicholas Kitchen (the first violinist) did a nice job of putting the quartet into historical context, explaining that an "affair" with younger women did not mean the same thing then that it does today. Their performance of "Intimate Letters" touched me both emotionally and intellectually.

What defines a singular performance for you?

Posted by Suzanne Schaffer at April 20, 2006 9:16 AM

Comments

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the Easter Suday programme on "St. Paul Sunday". I was very pleased to see that the organ is finally being acknowledged on this programme. I do hope that there will be more of these in the future. Again, thank you very much for this wonderfully musical programme.

Sincerely,

Nicholas F. Russotto

By Nicholas Russotto at April 22, 2006 5:46 PM

Thank You for the wonderful Easter Sunday program
on "St. Paul Sunday"
I was delighted to hear the program featuring the St. Ignatius Loyola Pipe Organ and Paul Jacobs.

Lloyd Wolf

By Lloyd Wolf at April 22, 2006 8:36 PM

Greetings!

Just a word to let you know that I really enjoyed being able to listen to Paul Jacobs' play the organ at St. Loyola's Church in New York City.

I shall look forward, with pleasure, to being able to listen to more programs of organ music, played on a pipe organ, which is often referred to as the "King of Instruments?"

Best wishes,

Morton Belcher

By Morton Belcher at April 22, 2006 10:30 PM

By Paul Adams at April 24, 2006 11:34 PM

It is most appropriate that the king of instruments should be played on the day that we remember the resurrection of our Lord. Since organ repertoire is often inspired by Christian sentiments, Sunday morning is a wonderful time to enjoy great organ music performed. I believe that every Saint Paul Sunday should include some such organ recital. Thank you for devoting the April 16 program to such beautiful music. Bravo.

By Paul Adams at April 24, 2006 11:36 PM

The Borromeos gave a searing performance of the Janacek . They're one of the best quartets you've ever had.

I am grateful that St. Paul Sunday finally entered the 21st century with decent web sound. This program deserved it. The quartet's Brahms and Haydn were just as wonderful but the Janacek...powerful. Wow.

By Victor Angell at April 27, 2006 6:13 PM