Mixed Company

« Spoleto Con Brio | Main | There's no place like home... »

May 12, 2005

Soul Music

Paul Coletti first visited Saint Paul Sunday in late October 2000. I’d heard his luminous CD of little-known viola works by English composers, which I passed on to Bill McGlaughlin. After hearing it, Bill wanted to get him on as soon as we could.

Even before he began to play that day I sensed something wonderful about this Scotsman of Italian descent. His warmth as a human being shone through right away, and when he spoke and played he was not only passionate about the many artistic and historical facets of his program, he was uniquely vulnerable to the music’s emotional currents, which he in turn expressed masterfully.

You’ll hear what I mean again this Sunday when Paul returns to the studio with another returning friend, the marvelous pianist Lydia Artymiw, who like Paul shares the same sense of engagement with the composers whose music she performs. Nowhere in their program is this truer than in their performance of Schumann’s “Scenes of a Fairyland.”

It comes “straight from a higher power, as I see it,” Paul says. “Whatever your belief in things, this is music that comes from deep deep deep inside the soul.”

Posted by Vaughn Ormseth at May 12, 2005 10:47 AM

Comments

Wonderful show! Perfect for Sunday morning listening.

By Frank Kundrat at May 15, 2005 01:35 PM

such a great performance! Both Paul Coletti and Lydia Artymiw made those three pieces alive. Brava~

By Cho at May 16, 2005 09:13 PM

Great show- I never knew much about Schumann, but they brought him to life. They captured a mystical side of music as well as anyone I've ever heard. The show really reached out, and I had the sense that I was meant to hear it.

By Dave at May 16, 2005 10:49 PM

I completely agree, Cho and David, that Paul Coletti and Lydia Artymiw made the Schumann especially come alive. I was really touched during the program when Paul was talking about memories in light of Schumann's music. Paul said that when his father died, many memories of what Paul had been like as a child also disappeared. What role does music play in your memories?

By Suzanne Schaffer at May 17, 2005 09:32 AM

"Mystical" is the word for Schumann. (Lydia said "almost spooky", and I know what she means there, too.) I found Paul & Lydia's "Scenes" deeply moving.

Over my years on Saint Paul Sunday, Schumann's works and performances invariably stand out for me. Among many I won't forget are the St. Lawrence Quartet's performance of his String Quartet in A, Thomas Hampson's bewitching Dichterliebe cycle, and Leif Ove Andsnes's "Faschingsschwank aus Wien."

All the works reflect Schumann's arresting shifts of mood, and they're all great performances because in each case the artists enter in to those shifts completely...

Schumann's been called the most romantic of all the romantic composers. True?

By Vaughn Ormseth at May 17, 2005 03:53 PM

Like previous commentators, I too was totally impressed by the Schumann Marchenbilder--especially the finale. As a chamber music pianist, I too have played the Schumann and Brahms offered on your program--though clearly not in Lydia's league!
The early Mendelssohn viola-piano sonata was a revelation to me, and I can't wait to try it out. Richard Sogg

By Richard Sogg at June 4, 2005 03:22 PM

Can you tell me the local stations that carry your program. I live in San Jose, CA but receive KQED in San Francisco well--but they don't do classical music any more. Thank you. Richard L. Sogg, 19262 Hidden Hill Road, Los Gatos, CA 95030-3001.

By Richard Sogg at June 4, 2005 03:28 PM

Violence only propagates more violence.

By Football Betting at June 10, 2006 01:06 AM