Support Performance Today with your Amazon.com purchases
Search Amazon.com:
Keywords:
Performance Today homepage
Today's Fredlines

< Philadelphia Orchestra benefit for Chinese schools | Main | Better than the Coney Island Cyclone >

Like a Pianist with a Sprained Wrist

Posted at 11:28 AM on June 3, 2008 by Fred Child (7 Comments)

What's a radio guy to do when he has a cold?

I once had a boss tell me it would be unprofessional to go on the air with the slightest hint of a sniffle. A few years later, a different boss told me to keep talking until I had no voice at all.

Today...my congestion is somewhere in between. "Throat Coat" tea with honey isn't calming my rattle, even the most powerful (legal) decongestant isn't clearing my passageways. I'm open to any and all folk remedies you might suggest...

Comments ( 7 )

Hot tea with lemon and rum. Forget the lemon...it just makes the tea sour.

Posted by Patricia Hawn | June 3, 2008 2:58 PM

Try eating a jalapeno or two. They are full of vitamins and will clear your head faster than an OTC decongestant. Have an emergency glass of milk at the ready in case they are hot.

Posted by Jenny Nielsen | June 3, 2008 3:55 PM

A nice single malt scotch with two ice cubes. Actually that is my cure for most things.

Posted by Lee Wallace | June 3, 2008 4:54 PM

hot soup, miso or chicken-
if you have a cough, heat brown sugar and butter in a pan, and suck on it on a spoonful

Ginger tea, or if your adventurous, grated ginger wrapped in cheese cloth and wrapped on the bottom of your feet while you sleep.

dont take over the counter commercial medicine over long periods- it only supresses the symptoms and prolongs the sickness. Eating raw garlic can help with colds, though youll probably smell... and dont eat dairy, it only makes you more mucous-y

Posted by maren m | June 3, 2008 6:27 PM

I have a steam unit, just a portable one. Got it at the big box store in the nostrums aisle. Good for dipping your face and nose and throat into moist warm steam. Many singers swear by it. It might melt some of the gunk.

Posted by sw Paul Mack | June 4, 2008 12:40 AM

Find a new boss?

Seriously, only time can help, my friend.

Posted by Jim Lange | June 4, 2008 8:55 AM

The rational side of my brain suspects you're right, Jim, when you say "only time can help." But...a guy's gotta try! Especially with a couple of these ideas. Patricia, I thought you were going to say "forget the tea," too. Lee: my Lagavulin 18, why didn't I think of that!? Maren: thanks, I found a nice box of Tazo Green Ginger...and I like it so much I think I'll keep it with me after I'm over this little cold. Paul, I have a nice steamer for the dry St. Paul winters, but...where did I pack that away for summer? Sounds scrumptious about now. And finally...Jenny. I enjoy food that makes me sweat. And I love the way you casually suggest downing "a jalapeno OR TWO." Maybe slice by slice, with that milk standing by...

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Fred Child