Trading Floor

The Trading Floor features comments, feedback and insight submitted by Marketplace sources. Help advise us about stories we’re working on, discuss the news of the day, and share your insight by joining the Public Insight Network.

FEATURED QUERY: Do you rely on tips for a living? Tell us more

RSS

Discuss

Can online dating help you find a financially compatible mate?

Query
  • Posted by Jo Easton
  • on July 9, 2009 1:01 PM

Marketplace Money is taking a look at whether questionnaires used by online dating services can help you find a financially compatible mate. If you’ve used dating services, did you get matched up with someone whose personal finances were in great shape….shockingly awful….or just plain incompatible?

Has insight into a potential match’s finances (or credit score) been the way to your heart?

We want to hear your story about how personal finance factors into online dating. (Go here to answer our questions outside of public view.)

Among the insights coming into my inbox on this is one from Lisa Twede of Burbank, CA. She says she found a good guy on Eharmony — their approaches to money aren’t the same, but it works out because they budget together: “We make plans together based on the money we feel we have available. We have creative but cheap dates - like going on hikes.” But before she found the good guy, she had some bad experiences of getting “matched” with scammers from abroad. And I have to share it with you because her warning is too great to not share:

How to spot a scammer:

1) Their English is usually bad.

2) For men, they are usually employed in the oil industry.

3) Again for men looking for women, they usually have a child who needs a mommy.

4) They “fall in love” with you really fast, without even really knowing you.

5) Sometimes they will check “Native American” and then the profile picture is of a white person. They don’t know what “Native American” means.

6) They often put their hometown with a lowercase letter instead of a capital letter.

7) They will usually be 8 or 9 hours ahead of you, even though their hometown is in America. The excuse will be that they have a brilliant international job that keeps them traveling.

8) They will ask you for money.

What about you? Share your story about money and dating services here.

Discussion: 7 Comments

• Posted by Edward Simmons on July 10, 2009 6:00 PM

Using the internet, I established a relationship with a woman who was in far better financial shape than I. She had taken annual trips all over the world with a tour group that flew in their own chartered jets to China, India, Africa, where ever. During our first year we took 5 trips and we always had to discuss cost. We shared expenses equally but she usually sacrificed by not flying first class. Using the name Gordon Scott Edwards, I tell the story of this relationship in my book Internet Safari, Finding Love Online at 65.

• Posted by Thai Girl on July 10, 2009 8:15 PM

The hard part when you are in an online dating scene is the distance that separates between the two of you and the discreetness of your online date’s real profile because in the world of net lies can be truth and truth can be lies. As you go in the course of online dating, one should not his or her guards down to avoid experiencing expensive mistakes especially if you fall in love with your online date.

• Posted by hfree on July 21, 2009 2:28 PM

Though financially stable, I choose not to reveal my financial circumstances. I would like to find a suitable companion, particularly for traveling, but don’t wish to attract gold diggers.

• Posted by Chuck Gilbert on July 29, 2009 5:00 PM

Online dating to me is a joke. It is easier to catch fish is to be where they are!

• Posted by Hunter on September 11, 2009 9:16 PM

Even though you make a valid point I am afraid that I must disagree.Just use a good service.Girlfriend Dating

• Posted by dating profile examples on December 14, 2009 11:12 PM

I think revealing financial information will for sure bring out the gold diggers. However, if you are cautious with who you date, it can work out well by finding someone who matches you in terms of income. That way there are no issues about being liked only for your money or issues about the other person making more/less than you.

• Posted by cutebabe on August 18, 2011 2:41 AM

I just need someone out there to help me join college since my mum cant be able to take me please i will apreciate it if you help me, God bless.

Inform the news