AirTalk Blog

Reporter's Notebook: Bloody Marys flow for California delegates

KPCC reporter Frank Stoltze reports from the Republican National Convention in St. Paul:

California delegates to the Republican National Convention in St. Paul traveled to the Lafayette Club on the windy and rainy shores of Lake Minnetonka Tuesday for Bloody Marys and salmon and eggs. The Morongo Band of Mission Indians picked up the tab - even though its chair Robert Martin may end up voting for Barack Obama. Martin is a longtime Republican who says he tired of the party’s failure to reach out to minorities. He was a Clinton delegate to the Democratic Convention and now finds himself undecided. Martin says the tribe - which has lots of business in Sacramento - likes to remain friendly with both parties.

GOP Golf Outing 003.jpg White gloves and bloody marys—policy, Republican style

The Lafayette Club is one of the oldest country clubs in Minnesota - started in 1899. The golf course looked great but I neglected to bring my sticks.

Back to the brunch, which included an elephant made out of ice. Republican Pollster and author of “Words That Matter” Frank Luntz was the featured speaker. He openly spoke of the “BRADLEY EFFECT.” That refers to the 1982 California gubernatorial election when then Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley was leading in the polls against George Deukmejian. Bradley lost the race. Analysts believe voters lied when they said they’d vote for Bradley, when in fact they were unwilling to vote for a black man. Luntz predicted the same thing would happen with Barack Obama. He told California delegates not to get discouraged if John McCain is trailing in the polls, because the Bradley effect will make up for some of that.

GOP Golf Outing 006.jpg Frank Luntz lays out the talking points

GOP Stalwart and radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt also spoke to the delegation. He accused Obama of being part of the “deeply corrupt political machine” of Chicago - classic “red meat” for the party faithful.

I’ll balance this entry with this: The Daily Show has a billboard along the highway leading from the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport. it reads, “Welcome Rich White Oligarchs.”

GOP Golf Outing 002.jpg GOP on ice

• 7 Comments

Bill K: September 3, 2008 7:57 AM

Yesterday I had to turn off KPCC. The republicans are so well trained to attack, even the teenager you featured in the afternoon, it very quickly got tiring. I had to put on a classical station to get re-centered. I'm hoping today can be a little more factual and topical with less sniping.

D Hunt: September 3, 2008 10:28 AM

I've heard Sarah Palin described as rich - referring how she can afford to pay a nanny to care for her children as contrasted with most of the rest of us. I've seen the photos of her wearing furs when speaking before the Alaskan legislature. What I'm wondering is where her money comes from. She was a hockey mom, her husband has a union job; they have five kids. The latest figures I could find for Alaska state that the governor's annual salary is just over 80 thousand. Is her money inherited? Does it come from lobbiests? Is she using the perks of her office to pay for her wardrobe and childcare?

Alan: September 3, 2008 10:34 AM

I've read reports that Governor Palin spoke at her church and told them:

"Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God..."

I find this very reminiscent of the way our current President decided policy -- branding it God's will.

How will she be any different should she end up being President? (A sad but real possibility given Senator McCain is 72 and has cancer three times already.)

C. Crawford: September 3, 2008 10:42 AM

Many are arguing that Sara Palin showed courage by first “choosing” to have her Down syndrome baby, and second “allowing” her daughter to go through with the pregnancy. If the moral right truly consider abortion unequivocally inappropriate than the concept of a decision should never have come up. One supporter suggested how easy it would have been for the Palin family to quietly and secretly abort the daughters baby, and the fact she didn’t gives her more respect. Following the right to life argument abortion should not even be a consideration in the first place, and therefor courage has nothing to do with it.

To place the argument on the other side of the spectrum, I would never consider it courageous to allow a gay couple be married in my church, it would be the natural ting to do.

Niki: September 3, 2008 10:51 AM

I want to hear Palin to talk about how she will use her position to fight for the women's right and equality. I want to hear how she identifies herself with working people in this country, and what she will do to solve the health care crises. I want to know her position on the war in Iraq, her international experience, and how she will approach the issue of international conflicts. I want to hear Palin talk about how she'd work with both parties to get things done, and what kind of judges she would appoint if she is president of the United States. Palin must cover broad issues in her speech to let me know her, not just at personal level, but most importantly the policy level to earn my trust.

Lee: September 3, 2008 1:26 PM

I was surprised to hear this morning that the GOP pollster was touting the Bradley Effect, and I wondered why. The only thing I can think of is that he's doing the bidding of the GOP, giving the CA delegation false hope in order to keep the $$$ flowing in. After all, California is the biggest source of campaign funds. Once CA donors decided the race is lost, the money dries up. The GOP needs to keep the CA delegates and donors revved up and believing they have a shot so the money keeps flowing to the GOP.

Valerie Fields: September 4, 2008 10:55 AM

I had many times more constituents as a member of the L.A. Board of Education than Sarah Palin has as Governor of Alaska. Does that make me qualified to be Vice-President (I was V.P. of the Board)?