The Eternal Optimist
This week in 1971, the hapless basketball counterpart to the Harlem Globetrotters - The Washington Generals - won their only game. Toast the biggest losers in sports’ history with a drink that keeps hope alive.
“The Eternal Optimist,” as dreamed by Eric Holzherr, owner and bar maestro of Wisdom in Washington D.C.:
- 1 1/2 oz. Leopold’s American small-batch whiskey
- 1/2 oz. Benedictine Liqueur
- 1/2 oz. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 oz. dash of Cynar artichoke liqueur from Italy
- 2 oz. pressed apple juice
Shake it up in a martini shaker with ice. Pour it in a Tom Collins glass on the rocks. Drink it down in 13,000 tiny, pointless swallows.